Workforce Development & Testing
Jobs are changing. Traditional jobs are disappearing or changing with the introduction of new technologies. Today’s and tomorrow’s work involves new and different skills to adapt to continuously changing opportunities and labor market demands.
To meet these demands employers are looking for employees who:
- Are motivated and show initiative
- Have analytical and critical thinking skills
- Use technology effectively
- Are adaptable and creative
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Employers are looking for Lifelong Learners. Wikipedia defines Lifelong Learning as: attitudinal; that one can and should be open to new ideas, decisions, skills and behaviors. Studies have shown that Lifelong Learners report higher levels of motivation, morale and job satisfaction and employers who create a Lifelong Learning work environment help employees remain focused, goal-oriented and loyal. An educated workforce is easier to manage and will welcome new techniques, equipment and materials into the business and have a greater ability to problem-solve and deal with change, creating a competitive advantage.
MCPS’s Adult Education Lifelong Learning Center opened over 50 years ago with a class of 20 journeyman carpenters who needed to learn welding skills and has grown to serve over 10,000 students annually. Our programs cover just about anything that you need to know and even some things that you didn’t know you needed!
A sample of the programs we offer includes:
- Computers-All of our computer classes are hands-on. The classes are small and every participant works through exercises on their own computer. The range of training starts at the very beginning of the spectrum with Beginning Keyboarding and Introduction to Personal or MAC computers. More advanced training is also available in Microsoft Office, Quickbooks, InDesign and Website Development.
- Trade & Technical-Welding, Low or High Pressure Boilers, Basic Plumbing, Electrical or Sheetrock Repair and Basic Auto Care.
- Business- Employment Law Bootcamps, Accounting, Writing a Business Plan and Marketing.
- Foreign Language-Spanish, French, German, American Sign Language.
- Health & Safety-First Aid, CPR, Certified Nursing Assistant, Dental Assisting, Medical Office, Terminology, Transcription, Billing and Coding.
- Food and Cooking-Thai Cooking, Italian Cuisine, Bar-B-Que Basics, Cake Decorating, Desserts for Entertaining.
- Dance and Fitness-Jitterbug, Salsa, Ballroom, Bellydance, Yoga, Pilates, Tai Chi, Golf Conditioning, Strength and Conditioning.
- Brush up-Free classes to help you brush up your math, reading or writing skills.
An enthusiastic and skilled workforce is critical for any business. It can be difficult to find the perfect fit for your organization when you wade through piles of applications, and even harder to make those decisions in a 15 minute interview. Fortunately, there are tools available in your community that will give you additional objective information on applicants to help make the hiring decision easier.
Lifelong Learning is not just taking classes; it’s an attitude; it’s a choice. Your desire and drive to learn will fuel itself and you will be constantly looking for more to feed your hungry mind! Call The Lifelong Learning Center at 549-8765
for a class schedule or visit us at 310 S Curtis