Trade and Technical Programs
The Lifelong Learning Center offers a variety of classes to help train the workforce in the trades and technical area. Classes are offered throughout the sessions, for current class schedules please click on the Take a Class tab.
- Administrative Assistant Computing Essentials-Computer skills are essential in today’s workplace. This certificate program is designed to prepare students for the technology required to be successful in the modern workplace world. You will learn how to effectively use your computer and operating system, file management and Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook 2013. ProveIt tests will be used to measure your new abilities. This program emphasizes the employability skills necessary for getting, keeping and doing your job well. These include communication and critical thinking skills, and teamwork. Prerequisite: Beginning Computer Fundamentals or equivalent skills and keyboarding skills of 35 WPM or co-enrollment in keyboarding class. Text is required.
- Computer Classes-Learn everything from the Windows or Mac operating system, to computer repair and maintenance. Explore computer applications like Quickbooks, Excel or WordPress.
- Basic Combination Welding –Develop a technical understanding of arc welding fundamentals in this class. Topics will include: welding safety, equipment setup, joint design, electrode classification and the training necessary to develop the manual skills utilized in the flat position. Instruction will be in the use of AC/DC welding machines. Most welding exercises will be done in the flat position. Bring safety glasses and leather gloves to each class.
- Continuing Welding–This class is intended for those who have had the basic welding class or have developed basic welding skills. Emphasis is placed on developing individual skills necessary to make high quality welds. Units covered may include arc and acetylene welding out of position, MIG welding, plasma cutting and minor repair or project fabrication. Bring safety glasses and leather gloves to each class.
- Third Class Boilers –This class is approved by the State of MT and meets Low Pressure and Third Class Boiler Operator license requirements. Develop an understanding of standard equipment, operating practices, and common maintenance for low pressure third class steam boilers and hot water boilers. Building heating systems and safety procedures are also covered. Tour Missoula businesses and public buildings and see various types of installations in action. Information on high pressure boilers and equipment is taught with each section, making this class good review for those wishing to take the written test for High Pressure Boiler Operator. Weekly review includes practice questions similar to those on the State examination. Text books required.
- Flagging Certification-Become a certified Flagger in this one-day class so you are eligible to apply for positions in the road construction field. This class is recognized by the State of Montana and covers the primary functions of a flagger including positioning, clothing, hazardous situations, traffic control devices, and more. You will also receive the Montana State flagging book, hands-on experience and will be able to take the certification exam in class.
- OSHA 10 hour Construction Certification-This course is designed for construction workers as an ideal orientation to those who are new to the industry and as a reminder those who have been working in the industry to the hazards associated with their work. Many contractors require this course for employment. You will learn safety regulations for the required fields in the construction industry and how to utilize the CFR 1926 general construction. This is a hands-on and classroom training. The OSHA certification card will be mailed to students directly 3-4 weeks after completing the course.
- Business and Management Classes-Learning everything from Management and Supervision to HR Basics. Broaden your business reach with Social Media or learn how to master your finances with Accounting Fundamentals.